• 2 Posts
  • 11 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 3rd, 2023

help-circle
  • Ad lobbying dollars got law makers to water down privacy legislation to allow this “legitimate interest” bullshit.

For what it’s worth, I feel a big part of my concern is addressed by the dev’s explanation and I now know it’s a problem with Google’s ad network with its terms and conditions though they’re all pretty similar in that regard unfortunately. I feel comfortable enough purchasing the app now which removes the rest of my concern because that removes any tracking associated with ads in the free version.

• I feel a big part of my concern is addressed by the dev’s explanation and I now know it’s a problem with Google’s ad network with its terms and conditions though they’re all pretty similar in that regard unfortunately. I feel comfortable enough purchasing the app now which removes the rest of my concern because that removes any tracking associated with ads in the free version.

• Observer1199@lemmy.mlOPtoBoost For Lemmy@lemmy.worldThis is not ok
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel a big part of my concern is addressed by the dev’s explanation and I now know it’s a problem with Google’s ad network with its terms and conditions though they’re all pretty similar in that regard unfortunately. I feel comfortable enough purchasing the app now which removes the rest of my concern because that removes any tracking associated with ads in the free version.

• I feel a big part of my concern is addressed by the dev’s explanation and I now know it’s a problem with Google’s ad network with its terms and conditions though they’re all pretty similar in that regard unfortunately. I feel comfortable enough purchasing the app now which removes the rest of my concern because that removes any tracking associated with ads in the free version.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel a big part of my concern is addressed by the dev’s explanation and I now know it’s a problem with Google’s ad network with its terms and conditions though they’re all pretty similar in that regard unfortunately. I feel comfortable enough purchasing the app now which removes the rest of my concern because that removes any tracking associated with ads in the free version.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I disagree with your sentiment about legitimate interest or about its use being necessary. The example you’ve given is a reasonable and legitimate one but not at all comparable to what “legitimate interest” actually represents.

Google and other ad networks go far beyond what could be considered “legitimate interest”. This was a concession from law makers to appease ad lobbyists and watered down the intent of privacy legislation.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you for clarifying this.

I also apologize if this post has hurt Boost - I didn’t think it would get a fraction of the visibility it did or even the reactions it did. I edited to add your explanation to make sure anybody who reads it going forward has the full story.

You’ve done great work on Boost. I really enjoyed the Reddit version and look forward to seeing what you do with it, so thank you.

• Thanks, I saw that after I posted and was going to reply that fixed it but for some reason I couldn’t find my post using Boost. I thought maybe I hadn’t actually posted it.

Then I discovered that muting an instance isn’t working the same as blocking. I’m still seeing communities from those instances and having to explicitly block each so I think a block function for instances is still needed. Unless I muted incorrectly.