• RagingRobot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s only what people inexperienced with JavaScript say lol. I have used it for many things over the past 15 years I have been an engineer. Frontend and backend and on different client device and I love it more and more everyday. It’s just easy to use. You can still use all of the same oop patterns you would use in any other language but it’s not as strict out of the box so I guess that’s fine that people might not be aware but it’s pretty powerful now for such a high level language.

• Swiggles@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I worked on projects using C++, C#, PHP, Python and JavaScript, also Typescript. I learned programming with C. So I am at least at a professional or competent level at each of them.

The language I am most productive in is JS. There is barely any boilerplate, it is easily writeable and supports multiple paradigms. Personally I prefer Typescript and I make it a requirement for projects I lead. I use it for everything unless it is a native application in which case I use C++. Just the language features of JS, compatibility, tooling, platforms where you can run it and so on makes it easily the most useful language on the list. I don’t even consider Python, C# or Java over JS. None of them are any faster or better designed languages, except for C# and that’s mostly improved by TS.