• 0 Posts
  • 17 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 17th, 2023

help-circle

• If it’s your only layer of security, it’s not good. But when a website doesn’t tell you whether or not an email account exists when you try a username and password, it’s still obscurity (you’re not confirming one way or the other) but it’s still a useful level of security. IPs are generally not given out for a reason. Most people don’t even realize they don’t get hacked simply because they aren’t targeted. That you even route local traffic via the internet is interesting to begin with and makes me wonder if you truly are prepared for a targeted attack. Maybe you decided it’s not worth the effort but maybe you don’t know how. I don’t know. But nonetheless, you’re making yourself more of a target.

• Games are actually a really bad example. They’re generally not written from scratch and use an engine. So there’s usually not a lot of work to keep it up to date. When they don’t make enough money from it though, they will retire it. It happens.

And Node modules? Are you kidding. The constant updates are usually security patches. If you’re properly using semver then it shouldn’t be an issue. You can either stick with the major or minor release depending on your needs. But those packages are also in your boat. Someone is developing them and patching them. They may drop old minor versions because they can’t support that many different releases. Because backwards compatibility is expensive.

Seriously, please tell me you’re at least securing whatever application you’re writing. Do you even do an npm audit (or yarn, whatever you use) and patch the findings?

Especially in web development, security is absolutely important. Sometimes yeah, you may not implement a feature. But that’s because your app lacks development resources like another developer. I’m sure it’s great to keep working on the exciting stuff like new features. But the “boring” stuff is still damn important.

• That’s expensive. Increases the attack surface. Degrades performance by requiring more overhead. Bloats the size of the OS. Sure, you can care about backwards compatibility over all of that. But apps will likely continually get developed regardless of backwards compatibility. So there’s still cost.

Again. I’m afraid you lost your point somewhere. Development rarely is ever completed. If it’s truly “completed” then it’s an extremely simple app with no real value and probably not worth anything. If it has value and isn’t simple, then it can always be improved. So hosting isn’t the only reason for ongoing payment. Continued development is extremely legitimate. Is it possible someone might abuse it? Sure. But software development never stops. It will always go into sustainment after release and when sustainment is over, the app is retired.

• The permissions framework is a lot more than just claiming Google wants tracking all to itself. That’s conspiracy level shit. The permissions framework has undergone immense changes from earlier ones from small things like giving an app an approximate location instead of detailed to also allowing permissions to be given at the time it’s needed and to require asking every time. Did you even use older android? All the permissions were from the get-go and you had no idea how it was being used. Permissions are so much nicer and the sandboxing has evolved. Your understanding of permission changes is extremely naive and simple. Applications are much safer now than on earlier android. This is objective truth.
    Compatibility mode basically means the runtime being used is a different one and any vulnerabilities that existed in that mode (not every one obviously) is now introduced. It’s why Windows XP compatibility mode requires admin rights because it’s entire authorization scheme was different and apps in that mode can do things that normally require elevated privileges. Microsoft recommends updating apps to not require compatibility mode for these very reasons. Even just the threat model alone is expanded due to the increased attack surface. I’m tired of developers who can’t take security seriously.