• mean_bean279@lemmy.worldtoBoost For Lemmy@lemmy.worldThis is not ok
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I need you to understand that me saying “Boost is pulling a Google ads SDK and that’s their terms of service” isn’t me saying it’s ok. Me saying “you’re not more valuable than the data” is also not me saying it’s ok. Both of those things can be true while it’s still not ok. The world isn’t black and white. The difference here is knowing who, what and why to be mad/angery/upset at something. Otherwise you just have misdirected anger. The original comment called out boost as being a data predator (which I don’t use Boost for the record). I simply pointed to how the app and systems are setup and how the prompt shown isn’t Boost’s doing, it’s part of an SDK that boost uses as they’re injecting ads into the free app. They have to show whatever TOS the ad injector/SDK uses.

• mean_bean279@lemmy.worldtoBoost For Lemmy@lemmy.worldThis is not ok
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s like you only read the first sentence of their response and ignored the rest.

Boost has to show the google ads consent and TOS. It only shows up if it downloads the google ads SDK after checking to see if you purchased ad free. So if you purchased ad free version you wouldn’t see this TOS since you didn’t get the Google Ads SDK.

You are most definitely not more valuable than the data collection they can do. Do not kid yourself.