help-circle

• atp2112@lemmy.worldtoIndyCar@lemmy.worldI Am Third
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In the same boat with F1 and NASCAR. Love F1 in some ways, but as much as I try to care about the midfield, I just can’t, and knowing a Max victory is a foregone conclusion has made me more likely to not tune in. I even finally cancelled F1TV (though that also has to do with me getting a streaming package that includes ESPN2).

As for NASCAR, I tried to watch after Ross Chastain’s Martinsville comeback, but that Phoenix race was painfully dull, and the gimmicks in the name of entertainment just turn me off of it further.

• atp2112@lemmy.worldtoIndyCar@lemmy.worldOK, I'll go first
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Oh thank God, someone broke the ice.

I guess I’ll add on. The pandemic and the free time it afforded me led me into a motorsports rabbit hole thanks to the Chain Bear video on the 2005 US Grand Prix. That led me to F1 at first, followed quickly after by MotoGP and IndyCar. My first race was a pretty dull IndyGP, but the following doubleheader at Road America made sure I was absolutely hooked.

I’m a masochist, so I’ve gravitated towards the Andretti stable, especially Colton Herta. Sure, his balls-to-the-wall style can produce some absolutely painful moments, but when it works, it’s an absolute thing of beauty.

I wish I could say I’ve been to a race as a fan. I went with my parents to the Baltimore GP, but that was when I really wasn’t into motorsports as a kid and, quite frankly, saw no reason to watch cars turn left (I was an idiot as a kid). Now that I have a love for it, I’m now in a (non-NASCAR) motorsports dead zone.