c/Superbowl

For all your owl related needs!

• 0 Posts
  • 17 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: July 2nd, 2023

help-circle
  • It wasn’t drawn to be explicit, just as gags, but there was top and bottom nudity. Pants splitting, tops falling off, people landing in compromising positions, that kind of stuff. Any part where you would have seen anything was covered with a character face “sticker” instead of a censor type bar. There was nothing romantic or sexual story-wise, but it is stuff that would not normally be broadcast on tv.

To me it’s just a comedy/gag manga. I mainly kept reading for the potato puns after a certain point. The characters are pretty one dimensional and there isn’t any character growth, but it’s alright for what it is. It was short enough to read all of it that I didn’t regret reading it. It was kind of nice seeing different body types represented, and they’re drawn to be suggestive, but at the same time, they were all mainly treated as bits, so to me, that cancels out a lot of what it could have been. There’s nothing I’d call real health tips, there’s no body positivity, and there’s nothing really suggestive enough you couldn’t find better elsewhere just as easily, so I’m not sure the overall point of it. But if you want a short series with likeable but dull unorthodox characters with some ok jokes, it does that, but if you went a few chapters and it didn’t grab you, you won’t be missing out IMO.

• I think Helck left off at a very good spot for a second half. I don’t know if I’d want more than another full season, and I don’t think the manga was all that long to begin with. If like to see it reach its conclusion for sure though and see everyone get a nice ending.

I keep hearing all this talk about Frieren. I looked at some trailers, I’ve read the show summary, but I guess I’m going to have to just watch it, because nothing about it is really selling it as anything special to me.

Nothing in this season has really got me pumped, but I have spent the last few months binge reading all of One Piece, which I hadn’t seen or read before, so it’s going to be tough for anything new to measure up.

• I enjoyed Helck overall, but yeah, first half was all fun and games, while the second half was all dark and serious. With it so segregated content-wise it just felt like it didn’t know what it wanted to be.

I think we could have revealed the backstory evenly throughout, like during the cooking competition, show how he looked after his lil bro.

Piwi was so cute and charming, but through all the backstory he’s literally just sitting there.

With all the backstory gone now, I hope a season 2 could bring the story to a satisfying conclusion.

• Your comments on Farming Life echo another person I’ve talked with. It’s such a shame. I really wanted something cute and mildly educational, but they just didn’t do enough of any one thing to grab my attention.

I was going to go back to read Tomo, but I also heard it didn’t skip much.

Nagatoro, I don’t know if I’ve watched the second season at all yet actually, but I have popped into some random manga chapters to see where it’s been going, and I still enjoy what I see. This might have to be my next read. I started One Piece for the first time a few months ago, and I’m almost caught up, so I’ll be needing something new.

Helck had me totally confused what it was going to be in the beginning. The whole demon lord contest was not what I was expecting from the visuals. Then they introduced Piwi, who I adore, but other than 1 or 2 episodes, they didn’t do much with him. And while Piwi sits literally off to the side doing nothing for like 6 episodes, we get very little comic relief during the huge block of dark backstory. The overall content was great, but I feel the first half was so silly and the second so serious, I feel it just should have been blended better to be more tonally cohesive. The way they did it felt like 2 barely related stories mashed together. I do look forward to where they go from here. I feel it leads to a happy ending, but the jumping tone still leaves possibilities for them to throw some more dark stuff in that could surprise me.

• Best

Trigun Stampede - Trigun was one of my gateways into anime, so I was very nervous about them rebooting one if my personal favorites, especially with a CG animation style I’m not normally into. I loved everything about this and want more! The story was much deeper and got into the traumatic parts much more of everyone’s stories. I don’t think it takes away from the original story in any way, but being older now, a more serious and gritty Vash really worked for me.

Dr Stone / Spy Family - Two of my favorite arcs for these 2, Treasure Island and the Cruise. Both easily met expectations and I was happy to see then both animated after reading the manga.

Worst

Farming Life In Another World - Really wanted to like this. Great premise and great side characters and initially reminded me of Slime, but no drama or adventure. MC was lifeless. Kill him off, leave me the adorable girls and the potato spider, show me some actual farming instead of hand waving, and I’m happy. Basically fantasy Silver Spoon is what I was hoping for.

Surprise

Tomo-chan and Nagatoto were both more wholesome than expected. I was hopeful for Tomo but not for Nagatoto, but I felt both had great characters, a fun level of awkwardness for both the boys and the girls, and I really enjoyed both as comedies. May pick up reading Nagatoro.

Zom 100 and Helck I went into totally blind. Zom has been a wild ride that I felt brought done creativity and life to zombies that I’d found lacking for a while. Helck I enjoyed, but the pacing kinda sucked. I’m hoping now the back story is it of the way that will improve.

Devil is a Part Timer / Magus Bride - Both of these win me back after being ready to drop them. Liked the back story and plot progression both in Devil, and the Hogwarts like magic school in Magus really kicked both shows back into gear for me.

Eh

Vinland Saga - I heard it wasn’t going to be at all like season 1, which I was fine with, but this really dragged on. Overall it was ok, the last quarter I enjoyed, but I’m hoping next season is a bit quicker. Was thinking about picking up the manga, but that’s gonna be on hold until I see where this is going a little more.

• I’m glad this keeps getting renewed. It was a fun story overall, and I like the personalities of all the characters and seeing them animated. I finished the manga as it came out, and the ending feels a little abrupt and unfinished, but overall I was satisfied. This show won’t go down as one of the greats of all time, but it’s a solid show and I’m glad to have decent things that aren’t isekai to watch.

• That was much better looking than I ever would have imagined.

The characters look really darn close to the originals, and they look to have made a real life Ushiyama not look ridiculous with that hanpen forehead.

This is one of my favorite properties, so I am cautiously optimistic, though I’m curious how they will handle some of the humor.

• anon6789@lemmy.worldtoAnime@lemmy.mlLooking for recommendation
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Golden Kamuy

Violent criminals, samurai, vintage weaponry, cool uniforms, treasure hunts, animal fights, great characters and story. It’s got it all!

Steins Gate

Crazy sci fi adventure in a present day setting, surprise characters and plot twists, loveable characters, and you never know what will happen next.