This is my first ever event, couldn’t pass up such a close local race regardless if it succeeds or not!

• -RYknow@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m stoked for this race! I think the idea is cool, and I hope it works out! I heard on (I think it was) Denny’s podcast that some extremely high percentage of ticket sales for this Chicago race are for first timers. That’s good! New exposure is a good thing.

I’m mildly bummed at the drivers reactions to it thus far. When they’ve been asked, no one has seemed excited. Infact, most have said they’ve not done (at least prior to this week) any Sim time getting used to the layout. Maybe that’s common? I don’t know… But I would have thought for sure that a teams and drivers would want to be the first to win it…or…potentially…the only ones to ever win a street course.

Regardless. I’m hoping for a good show, and I hope drivers find they like it.

• Floopity@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I heard on the radio and the large screens that 80 percent are first timers, me included! So far I think the vibe has been pretty good here, and the interviews that have been going on from the drivers that have been picked have been pretty good. Of course, that could just be TV press bias and optimism but so far so good!

What I think is also very hilarious is that some of the wrapping on the outer fencing of the entire enclosure has been ripped by outsiders to see the course.

• HikerAdam@sh.itjust.worksM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Awesome picture, man. Looks like a lightning delay now, but I can’t wait to watch when it resumes!

How are you enjoying things thus far?

• Floopity@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Unfortunately the lightning meant an evacuation for the fans for safety. I am definitely satisfied after spending my whole day there as I was on the grounds since first practice, but I can imagine that this unfortunate weather and evacuation will sour some fans’ perceptions, especially with so many being first timers like me. While walking out, there was lots of mocking of how far the lightning was from the track and that it was overblown.